Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Webster Groves, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Webster Groves, MO. We all have a obligation to each other to obey the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When somebody gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an extremely selfish and thoughtless decision. If you or someone you love was hurt because of that decision, you are entitled to seek justice through financial compensation. Motor vehicle accidents and the injuries that accompany them are always unanticipated, and the financial reverberations from medical bills and lost wages are instant and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Webster Groves, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because someone made the awful decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Webster Groves, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have declined by almost half since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Webster Groves, MO roads who endanger others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and hurt you, the Webster Groves, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and ensure they are held accountable and you receive the full financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
As stated by reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed each day in drunk driving accidents, which adds up to one death every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people annually. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after having too much to drink in the last 30 days. The annual cost associated with drunk driving accidents nationwide totals more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 auto wreck injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt because somebody else drove drunk in Webster Groves, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Webster Groves, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of at least .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the chance of having the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Though it may be encouraging that there are strict punishments for people who drive drunk, it doesn't help you collect compensation for your damages. Sometimes, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Webster Groves, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you a great financial recovery for your injuries.
Below are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Webster Groves, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Webster Groves, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is demonstrably liable for your injuries according to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other parties who are to blame. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the rules vary between the two states:
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they displayed:
- Significantly uncoordinated physical action
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of over .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to show fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to prove the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurring when they talk
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Significantly impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who caused you injury did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be liable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone injured by a drunk driver to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can prove that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can show that the alcohol sold by the vendor contributed to the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can prove that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is required to set liability limits for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Webster Groves, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you receive will depend on the significance of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you a complete financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time you could not work owing to your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in an impairment that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, for example
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or required improvements to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical treatment
- Property damage, for instance damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, for instance:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Webster Groves, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal skills needed to deliver you the great financial recovery that you are owed.
Other personal injury cases we take in Webster Groves, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Webster Groves, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made a reckless decision, and you do not have to go through this confusing process by yourself. The Webster Groves, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, skilled, and experienced in holding drunk drivers responsible in Webster Groves, MO for their selfish behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Webster Groves, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.