Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Lebanon, IL
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Lebanon, IL. We all have a obligation to each other to follow the rules of the road and respect each other's safety. When another driver gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an incredibly selfish and reckless choice. If you or someone you love was hurt because of that decision, you deserve to pursue justice in the form of financial compensation. Auto accidents and the subsequent injuries are always unforeseen, and the financial reverberations from medical bills and lost wages are immediate and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Lebanon, IL drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because someone made the terrible decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Lebanon, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving fatalities have declined 45 percent since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Lebanon, IL roads who jeopardize others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and harm you, the Lebanon, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to make sure they are held accountable and you receive the full financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die every day in drunk driving accidents, which adds up to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after drinking too much within the previous 30 days. The yearly cost associated with drunk driving collisions in the United States adds up to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 car collision injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total motor vehicle accident injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured by a drunk driver in Lebanon, IL, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Lebanon, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for someone to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of over .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that renders the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
While it's a good thing that there are stiff consequences for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you receive compensation for your damages. Occasionally, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Lebanon, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you the best possible financial recovery for your damages.
The following are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Lebanon, IL:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Lebanon, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is decidedly to blame for your injuries pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other parties who are responsible. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the statutes are a bit different in each state:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," which means they showed:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical behavior
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a blood alcohol content of more than .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to prove fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Substantially impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is atypical in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a restaurant to be accountable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone harmed by a drunk driver to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can demonstrate that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the vendor was a factor the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability limits for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Lebanon, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you collect will count on the significance of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you complete compensation for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time you could not work owing to your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in an impairment that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, including
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or necessary improvements to your home
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical treatment
- Property damage, for example damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Lebanon, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, persistence, and legal skills required to deliver you the great compensation that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Lebanon, IL are:
Call HK Law Today
Lebanon, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made an irresponsible decision, and you do not have to go through this painful process by yourself. The Lebanon, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers responsible in Lebanon, IL for their reckless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the whole legal process, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Lebanon, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.