Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Potosi, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Potosi, MO. We all have a responsibility to each other to follow the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When someone gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an extremely selfish and careless choice. If you or a loved one was harmed because of that decision, you are entitled to seek justice through a financial recovery. Auto accidents and the injuries that come with them are always unforeseen, and the financial reverberations from medical expenses and lost wages are instant and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Potosi, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because another person made the awful decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Potosi, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving fatalities have declined 45 percent since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Potosi, MO roads who jeopardize others by drinking and driving. When they do and hurt you, the Potosi, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to make sure they are held responsible and you are awarded the full financial recovery you need to heal.
As stated by data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving collisions, which amounts to one fatality every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after having too much to drink within the last month. The yearly cost of drunk driving accidents nationwide totals over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 auto crash injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal crashes in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured because someone else drove drunk in Potosi, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Potosi, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of more than .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the chance of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Though it's a good thing that there are harsh punishments for people who drive while intoxicated, it doesn't help you get compensation for your damages. Occasionally, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Potosi, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them liable in your civil case and get you a complete financial recovery for your injuries.
The following are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Potosi, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Potosi, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is clearly liable for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other people who are liable. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the statutes vary between the two states:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must demonstrate two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical action
- Extreme physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a blood alcohol content of more than .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to prove fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to demonstrate the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Significantly impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is unusual in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a vendor to be to blame. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits an injured person to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can show that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar contributed to the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can show that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obliged to set liability maximums for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Potosi, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you collect will depend on the gravity of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to win you the best possible financial recovery for:
Economic damages, including:
- Lost wages for time you could not work owing to your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in an impairment that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, including
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or needed improvements to your home
- Future approximated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical appointments
- Property damage, for example damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Potosi, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, determination, and legal talent necessary to get you the great financial recovery that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Potosi, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Potosi, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another person made a selfish decision, and you do not have to go through this confusing process by yourself. The Potosi, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers responsible in Potosi, MO for their irresponsible actions. We keep you informed throughout the whole legal process, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Potosi, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.