Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Arnold, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Arnold, MO. We all owe it to each other to respect the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another person gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making a terribly self-centered and thoughtless choice. If you or a family member was hurt because of that decision, you have a right to pursue justice through financial compensation. Motor vehicle wrecks and the injuries that accompany them are always unforeseen, and the financial repercussions from medical expenses and lost wages are instant and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Arnold, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because another person made the horrible decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Arnold, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving deaths have decreased 45 percent since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Arnold, MO roads who endanger others by drinking and driving. When they do and end up injuring you, the Arnold, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to make certain they are held accountable and you are awarded the maximum financial recovery you need to heal.
As stated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving crashes, which adds up to one death every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people annually. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after drinking too much within the last month. The yearly cost of drunk driving accidents in the United States amounts to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 car accident injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal crashes in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt because somebody else drove drunk in Arnold, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Arnold, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for someone to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of over .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Though it may be encouraging that there are harsh penalties for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you recover compensation for your damages. Once in a while, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Arnold, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them liable in your civil case and get you full compensation for your injuries.
The following are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Arnold, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Arnold, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is clearly at fault for your injuries pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other people who are liable. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the statutes differ between the two states:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," which means they exhibited:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical action
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a blood alcohol content of more than .08% by itself is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to prove fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to show the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is unusual in that the person who caused you injury did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a vendor to be accountable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows someone harmed by a drunk driver to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can prove that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar caused the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller has to set liability caps for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Arnold, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you receive will be based on the seriousness of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you complete compensation for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time you could not work due to your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries cause a disability that disallows you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, for example
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or needed upgrades to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical care
- Property damage, for example damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Arnold, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, persistence, and legal knowledge required to deliver you the full financial recovery that you deserve.
Other personal injury cases we take in Arnold, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Arnold, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made a careless decision, and you do not need to navigate this trying time alone. The Arnold, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, skilled, and experienced in holding drunk drivers accountable in Arnold, MO for their selfish behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Arnold, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.