Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Mehlville, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Mehlville, MO. We all have a responsibility to each other to obey the rules of the road and respect each other's safety. When someone drives drunk, they're making a terribly self-centered and reckless decision. If you or a family member was harmed as a result of that decision, you deserve to seek justice in the form of a financial recovery. Motor vehicle accidents and the subsequent injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial consequences from medical costs and lost wages are immediate and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Mehlville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because somebody made the dreadful decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Mehlville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have decreased by almost half since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Mehlville, MO roads who put others at risk by drinking and driving. When they do and hurt you, the Mehlville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and ensure they are held responsible and you are awarded the full compensation you need to be made whole again.
According to reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die every day in drunk driving crashes, which adds up to one person every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after drinking too much within the last month. The yearly cost of drunk driving accidents in the United States adds up to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 auto collision injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured because another driver drove drunk in Mehlville, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Mehlville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of over .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to an extent that renders the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Although it's a good thing that there are strict punishments for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you recover compensation for your damages. Occasionally, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Mehlville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you maximum compensation for your damages.
Below are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Mehlville, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Mehlville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is demonstrably responsible for your damages under the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other parties who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois each have what are called dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the statutes are a bit different in each state:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they exhibited:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical behavior
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content above .08% by itself is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to demonstrate liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to demonstrate the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be at fault. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone hurt by a drunk driver to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can demonstrate that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant was a factor the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can show that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller has to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Mehlville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you receive will be based on the gravity of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you a great financial recovery for:
Economic damages, including:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries lead to an impairment that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, such as
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary upgrades to your home
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical appointments
- Property damage, for example damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, for instance:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Mehlville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal talent required to deliver you the full compensation that you are owed.
Other personal injury cases we take in Mehlville, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Mehlville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another person made an irresponsible decision, and you do not need to go through this difficult process alone. The Mehlville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are compassionate, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers responsible in Mehlville, MO for their irresponsible actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Mehlville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.