Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Fulton, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Fulton, MO. We all owe it to each other to observe the rules of the road and prioritize each other's safety. When someone gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an extremely self-centered and thoughtless decision. If you or a loved one was injured because of that decision, you are entitled to pursue justice through a financial recovery. Car crashes and the injuries that come with them are always unexpected, and the financial reverberations from medical bills and lost wages are instant and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Fulton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because someone made the awful decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Fulton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have decreased by almost half since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Fulton, MO roads who endanger others by drinking and driving. When they do and end up injuring you, the Fulton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to make sure they are held responsible and you collect the full financial recovery you need to heal.
As stated by data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving collisions, which amounts to one fatality every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people annually. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after having too much to drink within the last month. The annual cost of drunk driving collisions nationwide is more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 car crash injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in Fulton, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Fulton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of over .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Though it may be encouraging that there are severe consequences for drunk drivers, it doesn't help you collect compensation for your damages. Sometimes, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Fulton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you great compensation for your damages.
The following are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Fulton, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Fulton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is clearly at fault for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other parties who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois each have what are known as dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the rules vary between the two states:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must demonstrate two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," which means they exhibited:
- Significantly uncoordinated physical behavior
- Significant physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of more than .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to show fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurred speech
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Substantially impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is irregular in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a vendor to be to blame. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits an injured person to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can demonstrate that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the vendor contributed to the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can show that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obligated to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each person incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Fulton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you receive will depend on the significance of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you the best possible financial recovery for:
Economic damages, including:
- Lost wages for time you could not work because of your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in an impairment that prohibits you from performing the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, including
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or required upgrades to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical appointments
- Property damage, for instance damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Fulton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal knowledge required to get you the great compensation that you are owed.
Other personal injury cases we take in Fulton, MO are:
Call HK Law Today
Fulton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made an irresponsible decision, and you do not have to navigate this difficult time alone. The Fulton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers liable in Fulton, MO for their careless actions. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Fulton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.