Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Warrenton, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Warrenton, MO. We all owe it to each other to act in accordance with the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When someone gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making a ridiculously self-centered and irresponsible decision. If you or a family member was harmed as a result of that decision, you deserve to seek justice through financial compensation. Motor vehicle crashes and the subsequent injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial hardships from medical bills and lost wages are immediate and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Warrenton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because somebody made the dreadful decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Warrenton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving fatalities have declined 45 percent since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Warrenton, MO roads who put others at risk by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and end up injuring you, the Warrenton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make certain they are held accountable and you get the maximum compensation you need to be made whole again.
As stated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die every day in drunk driving wrecks, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people annually. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after having too much to drink within the last 30 days. The yearly cost of drunk driving accidents nationwide is more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 car wreck injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed because someone else drove drunk in Warrenton, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Warrenton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of over .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While impaired by alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ a little in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the chance of having the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Even though it may be encouraging that there are severe consequences for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you recover compensation for your injuries. Once in a while, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Warrenton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you full compensation for your injuries.
The following are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Warrenton, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Warrenton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is demonstrably to blame for your injuries pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other parties who are to blame. Missouri and Illinois each have what are referred to dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the laws vary between the two states:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," which means they exhibited:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical behavior
- Significant physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content of over .08% alone is not prima facie, or legally adequate to show liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to prove the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who caused you injury did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be at fault. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone hurt by a drunk driver to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can demonstrate that the bought alcohol at that specific restaurant.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar was a factor the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can prove that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obliged to set liability maximums for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Warrenton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you receive will count on the gravity of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you full compensation for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries lead to a disability that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, for example
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors appointments
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or required upgrades to your home
- Future estimated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical appointments
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Warrenton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal talent needed to win you the best possible compensation that you deserve.
Other personal injury cases we take in Warrenton, MO are:
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Warrenton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made a selfish decision, and you do not need to go through this difficult process by yourself. The Warrenton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers liable in Warrenton, MO for their irresponsible actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Warrenton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.