Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Versailles, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Versailles, MO. We all owe it to other people to respect the rules of the road and respect each other's safety. When another driver drives drunk, they're making an extremely self-centered and careless choice. If you or someone you love was hurt as a result of that decision, you have a right to seek justice in the form of financial compensation. Auto accidents and their injuries are always unexpected, and the financial repercussions from medical bills and lost wages are sudden and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Versailles, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because someone made the selfish decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Versailles, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving deaths have diminished by almost half since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Versailles, MO roads who put others in danger by drinking and driving. When they do and end up injuring you, the Versailles, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to ensure they are held responsible and you get the great financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
As stated by data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving crashes, which adds up to one fatality every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after drinking too much in the previous 30 days. The annual cost associated with drunk driving accidents in the United States amounts to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 motor vehicle wreck injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt because another person drove drunk in Versailles, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Versailles, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of over .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While impaired by alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to an extent that renders the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the chance of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
While it may be encouraging that there are strict punishments for drunk drivers, it doesn't help you collect compensation for your damages. Sometimes, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Versailles, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you a full financial recovery for your damages.
The following are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Versailles, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is to Blame for My Injuries? | Versailles, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is undoubtedly liable for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other people who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois each have what are called dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the laws differ between the two states:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must demonstrate two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they showed:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical behavior
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a blood alcohol content above .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to support liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to prove the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurred speech
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is atypical in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a restaurant to be accountable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone harmed by a drunk driver to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can show that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the vendor was a factor the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can show that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obliged to set liability maximums for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each person incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Versailles, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you collect will be based on the severity of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to win you a great financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time you could not work because of your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries result in a disability that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, for instance
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or required upgrades to your home
- Future approximated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical treatment
- Property damage, for example damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Versailles, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, persistence, and legal talent required to get you the best possible financial recovery that you are entitled to.
Other personal injury cases we take in Versailles, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Versailles, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made an irresponsible decision, and you do not have to go through this confusing process by yourself. The Versailles, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers responsible in Versailles, MO for their reckless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Versailles, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.