Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Litchfield, IL
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Litchfield, IL. We all owe it to each other to obey the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When someone drives drunk, they're making a terribly self-centered and irresponsible decision. If you or a family member was hurt because of that decision, you deserve to pursue justice through financial compensation. Auto wrecks and their injuries are always unforeseen, and the financial hardships from medical expenses and lost wages are sudden and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Litchfield, IL drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their lives to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because someone made the selfish decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Litchfield, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have diminished 45 percent since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Litchfield, IL roads who jeopardize others by drinking and driving. When they do and hurt you, the Litchfield, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to make certain they are held responsible and you collect the best possible financial recovery you need to heal.
As stated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving collisions, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after having too much to drink in the last 30 days. The yearly cost of drunk driving accidents in the United States adds up to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 motor vehicle collision injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total auto collision injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal crashes in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured because somebody else drove drunk in Litchfield, IL, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Litchfield, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of over .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a little in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the chance of having the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
While it may be encouraging that there are stiff punishments for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you get compensation for your injuries. Sometimes, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Litchfield, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you great compensation for your damages.
The following are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Litchfield, IL:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Litchfield, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is clearly to blame for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other parties who are liable. Missouri and Illinois both have what are referred to dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the rules are a little different in each state:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must demonstrate two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they displayed:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical behavior
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a BAC of more than .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to prove fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to demonstrate the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is atypical in that the person who caused you injury did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a restaurant to be liable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone hurt by a drunk driver to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can demonstrate that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the vendor contributed to the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can prove that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obligated to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Litchfield, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you receive will be based on the significance of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you full compensation for:
Economic damages, such as:
- Lost wages for time you could not work because of your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries lead to a disability that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, including
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary upgrades to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical appointments
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Litchfield, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal talent required to deliver you the great compensation that you are entitled to.
Other cases we take in Litchfield, IL are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Litchfield, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another person made an irresponsible decision, and you do not need to navigate this difficult time alone. The Litchfield, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers accountable in Litchfield, IL for their careless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Litchfield, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.