Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Town and Country, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Town and Country, MO. We all owe it to each other to follow the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another person drives drunk, they're making a ridiculously selfish and reckless choice. If you or a family member was harmed as a result of that decision, you are entitled to pursue justice through a financial recovery. Motor vehicle wrecks and the injuries that come with them are always unexpected, and the financial effects from medical costs and lost wages are immediate and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Town and Country, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because another person made the awful decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Town and Country, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving fatalities have decreased 45 percent since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Town and Country, MO roads who put others at risk by drinking and driving. When they do and hurt you, the Town and Country, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to ensure they are held accountable and you get the full compensation you need to heal.
As stated by reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving collisions, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people annually. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after having too much to drink within the previous 30 days. The yearly cost of drunk driving wrecks in the United States amounts to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 car crash injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt because someone else drove drunk in Town and Country, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Town and Country, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of over .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
While it may be encouraging that there are harsh penalties for people who drive drunk, it doesn't help you collect compensation for your damages. Sometimes, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Town and Country, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you complete compensation for your injuries.
Below are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Town and Country, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Town and Country, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is obviously to blame for your injuries according to the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other parties who are liable. Missouri and Illinois both have what we call dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the laws differ between the two states:
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they showed:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical action
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of more than .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally sufficient to prove fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to prove the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is irregular in that the person who caused you harm did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a bar to be liable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows someone harmed by a drunk driver to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can prove that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant contributed to the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can prove that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability caps for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Town and Country, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you receive will count on the gravity of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you maximum compensation for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in an impairment that prohibits you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, including
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or necessary upgrades to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical treatment
- Property damage, for instance damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Town and Country, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, persistence, and legal skills necessary to deliver you the best possible financial recovery that you are entitled to.
Other cases we take in Town and Country, MO are:
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Town and Country, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made a reckless decision, and you do not need to navigate this trying time alone. The Town and Country, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers liable in Town and Country, MO for their irresponsible behavior. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Town and Country, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.