Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Sappington, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Sappington, MO. We all owe it to other people to observe the rules of the road and prioritize each other's safety. When somebody gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an extremely selfish and irresponsible choice. If you or someone you love was harmed because of that decision, you have a right to pursue justice through financial compensation. Auto crashes and their injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial repercussions from medical costs and lost wages are instant and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Sappington, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because somebody made the horrible decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Sappington, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving fatalities have decreased 45 percent since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Sappington, MO roads who jeopardize others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and end up injuring you, the Sappington, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to make sure they are held accountable and you get the best possible compensation you need to heal.
According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed each day in drunk driving collisions, which amounts to one person every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after drinking too much in the last month. The yearly cost associated with drunk driving accidents in the United States amounts to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 auto accident injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured by a drunk driver in Sappington, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Sappington, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of over .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that renders the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
While it may be encouraging that there are harsh consequences for people who drive drunk, it doesn't help you get compensation for your injuries. Once in a while, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Sappington, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them liable in your civil case and get you the best possible compensation for your damages.
Below are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Sappington, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Sappington, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is unmistakably at fault for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other people who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois each have what are called dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the rules are a little different in each state:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they exhibited:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical action
- Extreme physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of over .08% alone is not prima facie, or legally adequate to prove fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to prove the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Significantly impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is irregular in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be liable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can prove that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can show that the alcohol sold by the vendor caused the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Sappington, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you collect will depend on the severity of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you a complete financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time you could not work due to your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries cause an impairment that disallows you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, for instance
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or needed upgrades to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical treatment
- Property damage, for example damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Sappington, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, determination, and legal skills required to win you the best possible financial recovery that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Sappington, MO are:
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Call HK Law Today
Sappington, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made a selfish decision, and you do not have to navigate this difficult time alone. The Sappington, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are understanding, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers responsible in Sappington, MO for their irresponsible behavior. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Sappington, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.