Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Vandalia, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Vandalia, MO. We all have a obligation to other people to observe the rules of the road and value each other's safety. When someone gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making a terribly selfish and reckless decision. If you or a loved one was hurt as a result of that decision, you are entitled to pursue justice through a financial recovery. Motor vehicle crashes and the subsequent injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial hardships from medical costs and lost wages are instant and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Vandalia, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because somebody made the dreadful decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Vandalia, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving deaths have declined 45 percent since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Vandalia, MO roads who endanger others by drinking and driving. When they do and injure you, the Vandalia, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make sure they are held accountable and you receive the maximum compensation you need to be made whole again.
As stated by reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed each day in drunk driving crashes, which amounts to one fatality every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people annually. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after drinking too much within the previous 30 days. The annual cost associated with drunk driving collisions nationwide amounts to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 motor vehicle collision injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who died and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured because another driver drove drunk in Vandalia, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Vandalia, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for someone to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of over .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that renders the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Though it's a good thing that there are severe penalties for people who drive drunk, criminal penalties don't help you receive compensation for your damages. Sometimes, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Vandalia, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you complete compensation for your damages.
Below are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Vandalia, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is to Blame for My Injuries? | Vandalia, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is decidedly at fault for your damages according to the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other people who are liable. Missouri and Illinois both have what we call dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the rules vary between the two states:
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they displayed:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical behavior
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of over .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally adequate to demonstrate fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to demonstrate the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Significantly impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be liable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows someone injured by a drunk driver to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can prove that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can show that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant contributed to the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can prove that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller has to set liability maximums for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Vandalia, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you receive will depend on the seriousness of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you a complete financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time you could not work due to your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in a disability that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, such as
- Emergency room visits
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or required upgrades to your home
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical appointments
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Vandalia, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal talent necessary to win you the great financial recovery that you are entitled to.
Other cases we take in Vandalia, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Vandalia, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made a selfish decision, and you do not need to go through this confusing process by yourself. The Vandalia, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers responsible in Vandalia, MO for their careless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Vandalia, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.