Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers St. Robert, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in St. Robert, MO. We all have a duty to each other to heed the rules of the road and take into consideration each other's safety. When another driver drives drunk, they're making an incredibly selfish and careless choice. If you or someone you love was harmed due to that decision, you have a right to seek justice in the form of a financial recovery. Auto wrecks and the subsequent injuries are always unforeseen, and the financial effects from medical bills and lost wages are instantaneous and profound. Halvorsen Klote's St. Robert, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their lives to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because another person made the terrible decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | St. Robert, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving fatalities have diminished by almost half since 1982, there are still much too many people on the St. Robert, MO roads who put others in danger by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and harm you, the St. Robert, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to make certain they are held accountable and you collect the great compensation you need to heal.
According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die every day in drunk driving wrecks, which adds up to one person every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people annually. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after having too much to drink within the last month. The annual cost associated with drunk driving wrecks nationwide adds up to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 motor vehicle collision injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal crashes in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in St. Robert, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | St. Robert, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of more than .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that renders the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Even though it's a good thing that there are severe consequences for people who drive drunk, criminal penalties don't help you receive compensation for your damages. Once in a while, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The St. Robert, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them liable in your civil case and get you a complete financial recovery for your damages.
Below are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in St. Robert, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | St. Robert, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is decidedly at fault for your damages pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other parties who are liable. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the statutes vary between the two states:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they exhibited:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical behavior
- Extreme physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of over .08% by itself is not prima facie, or lawfully adequate to prove fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is unusual in that the person who caused you injury did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a restaurant to be responsible. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone hurt by a drunk driver to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can show that the bought alcohol at that specific restaurant.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar caused the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can show that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability limits for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | St. Robert, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you collect will count on the significance of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you a complete financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time you could not work due to your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries lead to a disability that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, such as
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or needed improvements to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical appointments
- Property damage, such as damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The St. Robert, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal talent required to get you the great compensation that you deserve.
Other cases we take in St. Robert, MO are:
Call HK Law Today
St. Robert, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made a reckless decision, and you do not have to navigate this trying time alone. The St. Robert, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers responsible in St. Robert, MO for their reckless actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the St. Robert, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.