Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers New Florence, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in New Florence, MO. We all have a responsibility to each other to respect the rules of the road and take into consideration each other's safety. When somebody gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an incredibly self-centered and irresponsible choice. If you or a loved one was harmed because of that decision, you are entitled to seek justice in the form of financial compensation. Car wrecks and the injuries that accompany them are always unexpected, and the financial reverberations from medical costs and lost wages are immediate and profound. Halvorsen Klote's New Florence, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their careers to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because another person made the horrible decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | New Florence, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving deaths have decreased 45 percent since 1982, there are still far too many people on the New Florence, MO roads who jeopardize others by drinking and driving. When they do and injure you, the New Florence, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and ensure they are held responsible and you are awarded the best possible financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die every day in drunk driving wrecks, which adds up to one person every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after drinking too much within the last month. The yearly cost of drunk driving crashes nationwide amounts to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 car crash injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total motor vehicle accident injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured because another person drove drunk in New Florence, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | New Florence, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of at least .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that renders the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Though it may be encouraging that there are strict punishments for people who drive drunk, it doesn't help you collect compensation for your injuries. Once in a while, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The New Florence, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you a complete financial recovery for your injuries.
Below are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in New Florence, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | New Florence, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is undoubtedly liable for your damages under the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other parties who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the statutes vary between the two states:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they displayed:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical behavior
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a BAC of over .08% by itself is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to prove liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers must show the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Significantly impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is atypical in that the person who caused you harm did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a bar to be accountable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone hurt by a drunk driver to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can demonstrate that the bought alcohol at that specific restaurant.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the vendor contributed to the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can prove that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller has to set liability caps for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each person incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | New Florence, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you collect will depend on the severity of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you a full financial recovery for:
Economic damages, including:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries cause a disability that disallows you from performing the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, for instance
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary upgrades to your home
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical treatment
- Property damage, for instance damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The New Florence, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal knowledge necessary to get you the full financial recovery that you deserve.
Other personal injury cases we take in New Florence, MO are:
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
New Florence, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another person made a selfish decision, and you do not have to navigate this trying time alone. The New Florence, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are understanding, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers responsible in New Florence, MO for their reckless actions. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the New Florence, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.