Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Eureka, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Eureka, MO. We all owe it to each other to heed the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another person drives drunk, they're making an incredibly self-centered and irresponsible choice. If you or someone you love was harmed due to that decision, you have a right to seek justice in the form of a financial recovery. Motor vehicle crashes and the injuries that accompany them are always unforeseen, and the financial hardships from medical bills and lost wages are instant and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Eureka, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because someone made the terrible decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Eureka, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving fatalities have decreased 45 percent since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Eureka, MO roads who put others in danger by drinking and driving. When they do and harm you, the Eureka, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and ensure they are held responsible and you are awarded the maximum compensation you need to be made whole again.
As stated by data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving accidents, which adds up to one fatality every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after drinking too much within the previous month. The yearly cost of drunk driving collisions in the United States is more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 car accident injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who died and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt by a drunk driver in Eureka, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Eureka, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of more than .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a little in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the chance of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Although it may be encouraging that there are stiff consequences for people who drive while intoxicated, criminal penalties don't help you get compensation for your damages. Once in a while, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Eureka, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you the best possible financial recovery for your injuries.
The following are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Eureka, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Eureka, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is decidedly at fault for your damages according to the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other people who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois both have what are referred to dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the laws are a little different in each state:
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Significantly uncoordinated physical behavior
- Extreme physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content of more than .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally sufficient to support fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to show the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurred speech
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is irregular in that the person who caused you harm did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a vendor to be to blame. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits an injured person to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can prove that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar contributed to the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can show that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller has to set liability limits for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Eureka, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you receive will depend on the significance of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you a complete financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries lead to a disability that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, for example
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or required improvements to your home
- Future estimated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical treatment
- Property damage, for instance damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Eureka, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal skills required to deliver you the full compensation that you are entitled to.
Other cases we take in Eureka, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Eureka, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made a selfish decision, and you do not have to go through this difficult process by yourself. The Eureka, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers liable in Eureka, MO for their reckless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Eureka, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.