Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Nixa, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Nixa, MO. We all owe it to other people to act in accordance with the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When someone drives drunk, they're making an extremely self-centered and careless decision. If you or a loved one was harmed due to that decision, you deserve to seek justice through financial compensation. Car crashes and the injuries that come with them are always unexpected, and the financial hardships from medical expenses and lost wages are immediate and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Nixa, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their careers to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because someone made the dreadful decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Nixa, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving fatalities have diminished 45 percent since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Nixa, MO roads who endanger others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and hurt you, the Nixa, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to make sure they are held responsible and you are awarded the full financial recovery you need to heal.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving accidents, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after drinking too much in the last month. The annual cost associated with drunk driving collisions nationwide amounts to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 auto collision injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total motor vehicle collision injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 drivers who died and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured by a drunk driver in Nixa, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Nixa, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of more than .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the chance of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Even though it's a good thing that there are strict punishments for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you receive compensation for your injuries. Sometimes, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Nixa, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you the best possible financial recovery for your damages.
The following are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Nixa, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Nixa, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is undoubtedly at fault for your injuries according to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other people who are to blame. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the statutes differ between the two states:
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must demonstrate two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Significantly uncoordinated physical behavior
- Significant physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content of more than .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally adequate to demonstrate liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to demonstrate the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurring when they talk
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Significantly impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is unusual in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a restaurant to be at fault. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can demonstrate that the bought alcohol at that specific restaurant.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the vendor was a factor the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can show that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller has to set liability caps for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death caused either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Nixa, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you collect will be based on the severity of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you a full financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries lead to a disability that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, for instance
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or necessary upgrades to your home
- Future estimated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical care
- Property damage, for instance damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Nixa, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, persistence, and legal knowledge required to win you the best possible financial recovery that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Nixa, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Nixa, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made a careless decision, and you do not have to go through this painful process alone. The Nixa, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers accountable in Nixa, MO for their reckless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Nixa, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.