Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Valley Park, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Valley Park, MO. We all owe it to other people to act in accordance with the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When somebody gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making a terribly selfish and reckless decision. If you or a family member was harmed because of that decision, you are entitled to seek justice through financial compensation. Motor vehicle accidents and their injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial consequences from medical costs and lost wages are sudden and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Valley Park, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their lives to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because another person made the dreadful decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Valley Park, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have declined 45 percent since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Valley Park, MO roads who endanger others by drinking and driving. When they do and end up injuring you, the Valley Park, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to make sure they are held accountable and you receive the great compensation you need to heal.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die every day in drunk driving wrecks, which adds up to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after drinking too much in the previous 30 days. The annual cost of drunk driving crashes in the United States totals more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 car collision injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who died and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in Valley Park, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Valley Park, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of more than .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Though it may be encouraging that there are severe penalties for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you collect compensation for your injuries. Once in a while, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Valley Park, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you great compensation for your injuries.
Below are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Valley Park, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Valley Park, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is clearly to blame for your damages according to the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other parties who are liable. Missouri and Illinois each have what are referred to dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the rules are a bit different in each state:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," which means they showed:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical behavior
- Significant physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content above .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally adequate to demonstrate fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to demonstrate the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling down
- Slurred speech
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is unusual in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a bar to be responsible. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits an injured person to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can prove that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar contributed to the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obliged to set liability caps for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death caused either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Valley Park, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you receive will count on the significance of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to win you great compensation for:
Economic damages, such as:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries result in a disability that disallows you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, including
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or needed upgrades to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical treatment
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Valley Park, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal knowledge required to get you the great financial recovery that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Valley Park, MO are:
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Valley Park, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made a reckless decision, and you do not need to navigate this difficult time by yourself. The Valley Park, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are understanding, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers accountable in Valley Park, MO for their reckless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Valley Park, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.