Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Weldon Spring, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Weldon Spring, MO. We all owe it to each other to respect the rules of the road and value each other's safety. When another person drives drunk, they're making an extremely self-centered and careless choice. If you or a family member was injured as a result of that decision, you deserve to seek justice through financial compensation. Car wrecks and the injuries that accompany them are always unforeseen, and the financial consequences from medical expenses and lost wages are sudden and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Weldon Spring, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because someone made the awful decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Weldon Spring, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving deaths have diminished 45 percent since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Weldon Spring, MO roads who put others at risk by drinking and driving. When they do and harm you, the Weldon Spring, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to ensure they are held responsible and you receive the great financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving wrecks, which adds up to one death every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after drinking too much in the previous 30 days. The yearly cost of drunk driving accidents in the United States totals more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 auto crash injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured because somebody else drove drunk in Weldon Spring, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Weldon Spring, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for someone to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of more than .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to an extent that makes the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Though it's a good thing that there are strict consequences for people who drive drunk, criminal penalties don't help you recover compensation for your damages. Sometimes, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Weldon Spring, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you great compensation for your injuries.
Below are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Weldon Spring, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Weldon Spring, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is undoubtedly at fault for your damages according to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other people who are responsible. Missouri and Illinois both have what are called dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the laws are a little different in each state:
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical action
- Significant physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC above .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally adequate to support fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a vendor to be responsible. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can prove that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the vendor caused the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can show that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obliged to set liability caps for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Weldon Spring, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you collect will depend on the gravity of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you full compensation for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time you could not work owing to your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries lead to a disability that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, for example
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or necessary improvements to your home
- Future estimated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical appointments
- Property damage, for example damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Weldon Spring, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal talent required to win you the maximum financial recovery that you are entitled to.
Other personal injury cases we take in Weldon Spring, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Weldon Spring, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made a reckless decision, and you do not have to navigate this difficult time by yourself. The Weldon Spring, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers responsible in Weldon Spring, MO for their reckless actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Weldon Spring, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.