Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Madison, IL
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Madison, IL. We all have a duty to other people to observe the rules of the road and value each other's safety. When someone drives drunk, they're making an incredibly self-centered and reckless decision. If you or someone you love was hurt due to that decision, you have a right to seek justice in the form of financial compensation. Motor vehicle crashes and the injuries that accompany them are always unforeseen, and the financial reverberations from medical bills and lost wages are instant and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Madison, IL drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because somebody made the selfish decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Madison, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have diminished 45 percent since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Madison, IL roads who endanger others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and harm you, the Madison, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make sure they are held accountable and you are awarded the great financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
As stated by data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving wrecks, which amounts to one fatality every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after having too much to drink within the previous 30 days. The yearly cost of drunk driving accidents in the United States amounts to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 car accident injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total motor vehicle accident injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured by a drunk driver in Madison, IL, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Madison, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of over .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to an extent that makes the person unable to drive safely
The two states differ a little in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
While it's a good thing that there are strict penalties for people who drive drunk, it doesn't help you receive compensation for your injuries. Occasionally, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Madison, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you maximum compensation for your injuries.
The following are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Madison, IL:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Madison, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is obviously responsible for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other people who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois each have what are referred to dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the statutes vary between the two states:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they showed:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical action
- Extreme physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a blood alcohol content of over .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully adequate to prove liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to demonstrate the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Substantially impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is relatively liberal in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be accountable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits an injured person to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can prove that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar was a factor the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can show that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obligated to set liability maximums for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Madison, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you receive will count on the severity of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you great compensation for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time you could not work due to your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries lead to a disability that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, including
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or required upgrades to your home
- Future approximated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical care
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Madison, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, persistence, and legal knowledge necessary to deliver you the maximum financial recovery that you are owed.
Other personal injury cases we take in Madison, IL are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Madison, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another person made an irresponsible decision, and you do not need to go through this painful process alone. The Madison, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are understanding, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers liable in Madison, IL for their careless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Madison, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.