Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Collinsville, IL
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Collinsville, IL. We all owe it to other people to obey the rules of the road and value each other's safety. When somebody drives drunk, they're making an extremely selfish and irresponsible decision. If you or a family member was hurt due to that decision, you deserve to seek justice in the form of financial compensation. Auto accidents and the injuries that accompany them are always unexpected, and the financial repercussions from medical costs and lost wages are instantaneous and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Collinsville, IL drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because somebody made the dreadful decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Collinsville, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving deaths have declined 45 percent since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Collinsville, IL roads who jeopardize others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and injure you, the Collinsville, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make certain they are held responsible and you collect the best possible financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
According to reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die every day in drunk driving wrecks, which adds up to one fatality every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after drinking too much within the last 30 days. The yearly cost of drunk driving crashes nationwide totals over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 motor vehicle crash injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt by a drunk driver in Collinsville, IL, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Collinsville, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of at least .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Even though it's a good thing that there are severe penalties for people who drive while intoxicated, criminal penalties don't help you receive compensation for your injuries. Sometimes, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Collinsville, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you complete compensation for your injuries.
Below are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Collinsville, IL:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Collinsville, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is demonstrably liable for your damages according to the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other people who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois both have what are known as dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the rules are a little different in each state:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they exhibited:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical action
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a BAC of more than .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to prove liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to prove the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling down
- Slurred speech
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Significantly impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is unusual in that the person who caused you harm did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a restaurant to be to blame. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can show that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant was a factor the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller has to set liability maximums for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Collinsville, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you receive will depend on the significance of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to deliver you full compensation for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time you could not work because of your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries cause a disability that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, for example
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or required upgrades to your home
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical treatment
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Collinsville, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, persistence, and legal knowledge required to secure you the maximum compensation that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Collinsville, IL are:
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Collinsville, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made a careless decision, and you do not have to go through this confusing process by yourself. The Collinsville, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers accountable in Collinsville, IL for their selfish behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Collinsville, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.