Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers St Clair, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in St Clair, MO. We all owe it to each other to act in accordance with the rules of the road and respect each other's safety. When somebody gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an extremely self-centered and irresponsible choice. If you or a family member was hurt as a consequence that decision, you deserve to seek justice through a financial recovery. Auto accidents and the subsequent injuries are always unforeseen, and the financial effects from medical expenses and lost wages are instant and severe. Halvorsen Klote's St Clair, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their careers to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because another person made the horrible decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | St Clair, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving deaths have decreased 45 percent since 1982, there are still much too many people on the St Clair, MO roads who endanger others by drinking and driving. When they do and harm you, the St Clair, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make sure they are held accountable and you are awarded the full compensation you need to heal.
As stated by reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving collisions, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people annually. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after having too much to drink in the previous month. The yearly cost of drunk driving crashes nationwide is more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 motor vehicle wreck injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal crashes in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured because someone else drove drunk in St Clair, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | St Clair, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of at least .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that renders the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
While it's a good thing that there are strict penalties for people who drive drunk, it doesn't help you collect compensation for your damages. Occasionally, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The St Clair, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you the best possible financial recovery for your damages.
Below are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in St Clair, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | St Clair, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is clearly to blame for your damages under the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other parties who are to blame. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the rules are a bit different in each state:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Significantly uncoordinated physical behavior
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC above .08% alone is not prima facie, or legally adequate to demonstrate fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to show the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is irregular in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be to blame. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows someone hurt by a drunk driver to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can prove that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant contributed to the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can prove that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obliged to set liability maximums for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death caused either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | St Clair, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you collect will be based on the significance of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to deliver you complete compensation for:
Economic damages, including:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in an impairment that disallows you from performing the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, including
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or required upgrades to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical care
- Property damage, for instance damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The St Clair, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, determination, and legal knowledge necessary to secure you the great financial recovery that you are entitled to.
Other cases we take in St Clair, MO are:
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
Call HK Law Today
St Clair, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made a reckless decision, and you do not have to navigate this difficult time alone. The St Clair, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers responsible in St Clair, MO for their reckless actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the St Clair, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.