Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Centralia, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Centralia, MO. We all owe it to each other to observe the rules of the road and prioritize each other's safety. When someone drives drunk, they're making an extremely self-centered and reckless decision. If you or a family member was hurt due to that decision, you have a right to pursue justice through financial compensation. Car wrecks and the injuries that accompany them are always unforeseen, and the financial repercussions from medical expenses and lost wages are instantaneous and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Centralia, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because someone made the dreadful decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Centralia, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving deaths have decreased 45 percent since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Centralia, MO roads who endanger others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and harm you, the Centralia, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and ensure they are held accountable and you get the best possible financial recovery you need to heal.
As stated by reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die every day in drunk driving collisions, which amounts to one fatality every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after having too much to drink within the last 30 days. The annual cost associated with drunk driving wrecks nationwide adds up to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 car collision injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal crashes in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured by a drunk driver in Centralia, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Centralia, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of over .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that renders the person unable to drive safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the chance of having the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Though it's a good thing that there are stiff punishments for drunk drivers, it doesn't help you receive compensation for your injuries. Occasionally, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Centralia, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them liable in your civil case and get you the best possible financial recovery for your injuries.
The following are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Centralia, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is to Blame for My Injuries? | Centralia, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is decidedly responsible for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other people who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the rules are a bit different in each state:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," which means they exhibited:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical behavior
- Extreme physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a BAC of more than .08% alone is not prima facie, or legally adequate to demonstrate fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to show the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is relatively liberal in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a bar to be liable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can prove that the bought alcohol at that specific restaurant.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar contributed to the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can show that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obliged to set liability maximums for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each person incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Centralia, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you collect will be based on the severity of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you the best possible financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time you could not work owing to your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries result in a disability that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, including
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or needed improvements to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical appointments
- Property damage, for example damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Centralia, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal talent required to win you the great financial recovery that you deserve.
Other personal injury cases we take in Centralia, MO are:
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
Call HK Law Today
Centralia, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made a careless decision, and you do not have to go through this painful process alone. The Centralia, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers liable in Centralia, MO for their careless actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Centralia, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.