Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Glendale, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Glendale, MO. We all owe it to each other to observe the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When someone drives drunk, they're making a terribly self-centered and reckless decision. If you or someone you love was harmed as a consequence that decision, you have a right to pursue justice through financial compensation. Car wrecks and the injuries that come with them are always unforeseen, and the financial hardships from medical expenses and lost wages are instant and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Glendale, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because another person made the horrible decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Glendale, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving deaths have declined by almost half since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Glendale, MO roads who put others at risk by drinking and driving. When they do and end up injuring you, the Glendale, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make certain they are held responsible and you are awarded the great compensation you need to heal.
As stated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving accidents, which adds up to one person every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after having too much to drink in the previous month. The annual cost associated with drunk driving crashes nationwide amounts to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 auto crash injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total motor vehicle wreck injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in Glendale, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Glendale, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of over .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that renders the person unable to drive safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Even though it may be encouraging that there are stiff punishments for drunk drivers, it doesn't help you collect compensation for your injuries. Sometimes, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Glendale, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them liable in your civil case and get you full compensation for your damages.
Below are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Glendale, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Glendale, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is undoubtedly responsible for your damages according to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other people who are liable. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the rules are a little different in each state:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must demonstrate two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," which means they showed:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical action
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a BAC of more than .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally adequate to demonstrate fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to demonstrate the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is atypical in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a bar to be at fault. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows someone harmed by a drunk driver to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can show that the bought alcohol at that specific restaurant.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar was a factor the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can prove that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is required to set liability caps for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Glendale, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you collect will depend on the significance of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you complete compensation for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time you could not work owing to your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries result in an impairment that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, such as
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or necessary improvements to your home
- Future approximated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical care
- Property damage, for example damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, for instance:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Glendale, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, persistence, and legal talent necessary to secure you the best possible compensation that you are entitled to.
Other personal injury cases we take in Glendale, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Glendale, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made a selfish decision, and you do not need to navigate this difficult time by yourself. The Glendale, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are compassionate, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers liable in Glendale, MO for their careless actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Glendale, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.