Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Bowling Green, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Bowling Green, MO. We all owe it to each other to heed the rules of the road and prioritize each other's safety. When another driver gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an incredibly selfish and thoughtless decision. If you or a loved one was injured as a consequence that decision, you have a right to pursue justice in the form of financial compensation. Car wrecks and the subsequent injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial effects from medical expenses and lost wages are immediate and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Bowling Green, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their lives to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because another person made the terrible decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Bowling Green, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving deaths have declined by almost half since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Bowling Green, MO roads who endanger others by drinking and driving. When they do and end up injuring you, the Bowling Green, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to ensure they are held responsible and you receive the great financial recovery you need to heal.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die every day in drunk driving collisions, which adds up to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after having too much to drink in the previous month. The annual cost of drunk driving accidents nationwide amounts to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 auto crash injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in Bowling Green, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Bowling Green, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of over .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the chance of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Although it may be encouraging that there are severe punishments for people who drive drunk, it doesn't help you collect compensation for your injuries. Sometimes, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Bowling Green, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them liable in your civil case and get you a complete financial recovery for your injuries.
The following are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Bowling Green, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Bowling Green, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is unmistakably liable for your damages according to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other parties who are to blame. Missouri and Illinois each have what are referred to dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the rules differ between the two states:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," which means they exhibited:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical action
- Extreme physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a blood alcohol content of more than .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally adequate to prove fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers must show the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is irregular in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be to blame. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone hurt by a drunk driver to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can show that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant caused the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is required to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Bowling Green, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you collect will depend on the seriousness of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you the best possible financial recovery for:
Economic damages, such as:
- Lost wages for time you could not work as a result of your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries lead to an impairment that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, for instance
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or necessary upgrades to your home
- Future approximated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical treatment
- Property damage, for example damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for instance:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Bowling Green, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal knowledge necessary to secure you the great financial recovery that you are entitled to.
Other cases we take in Bowling Green, MO are:
Call HK Law Today
Bowling Green, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made an irresponsible decision, and you do not have to navigate this trying time by yourself. The Bowling Green, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, skilled, and experienced in holding drunk drivers accountable in Bowling Green, MO for their careless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the whole legal process, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Bowling Green, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.