Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Manchester, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Manchester, MO. We all owe it to other people to follow the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another driver drives drunk, they're making an incredibly selfish and reckless choice. If you or a family member was hurt as a result of that decision, you have a right to seek justice in the form of financial compensation. Auto accidents and the injuries that come with them are always unforeseen, and the financial hardships from medical costs and lost wages are sudden and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Manchester, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because someone made the terrible decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Manchester, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have declined 45 percent since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Manchester, MO roads who jeopardize others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and injure you, the Manchester, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and ensure they are held responsible and you get the maximum financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed each day in drunk driving wrecks, which adds up to one death every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after drinking too much in the last month. The yearly cost associated with drunk driving accidents nationwide adds up to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 auto collision injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who died and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed because somebody else drove drunk in Manchester, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Manchester, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for someone to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of over .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While impaired by alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ a little in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Although it's a good thing that there are strict penalties for people who drive drunk, criminal penalties don't help you collect compensation for your injuries. Sometimes, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Manchester, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you a great financial recovery for your injuries.
Below are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Manchester, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Manchester, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is unmistakably to blame for your injuries pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other parties who are responsible. Missouri and Illinois both have what are called dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the laws are a little different in each state:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they showed:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical action
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a BAC of over .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally adequate to prove liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to show the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurred speech
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is relatively liberal in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a bar to be liable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone hurt by a drunk driver to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can demonstrate that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar caused the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can show that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is required to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Manchester, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you collect will depend on the seriousness of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to win you the best possible financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time you could not work as a result of your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in an impairment that prohibits you from performing the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, including
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary upgrades to your home
- Future approximated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical treatment
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for instance:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Manchester, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, determination, and legal knowledge necessary to deliver you the full compensation that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Manchester, MO are:
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
Call HK Law Today
Manchester, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made an irresponsible decision, and you do not need to go through this confusing process alone. The Manchester, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are understanding, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers accountable in Manchester, MO for their irresponsible behavior. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Manchester, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.
Attorney at Law
Samantha Orlowski is a practicing attorney Halvorsen Klote.
Samantha joined Halvorsen Klote in 2018 as a law clerk and has since become a practicing attorney. Sam's number one priority is to provide individualized experiences for each client to achieve the best results.