Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Lemay, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Lemay, MO. We all owe it to other people to respect the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When somebody gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an incredibly self-centered and careless choice. If you or a family member was injured as a result of that decision, you are entitled to pursue justice through financial compensation. Motor vehicle wrecks and the injuries that come with them are always unanticipated, and the financial effects from medical expenses and lost wages are instant and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Lemay, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because someone made the terrible decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Lemay, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have decreased 45 percent since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Lemay, MO roads who put others at risk by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and injure you, the Lemay, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to make certain they are held responsible and you receive the full financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
As stated by reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving accidents, which adds up to one death every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people annually. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after drinking too much in the last month. The yearly cost of drunk driving wrecks in the United States adds up to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 auto collision injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured because another driver drove drunk in Lemay, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Lemay, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of over .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
While it's a good thing that there are severe consequences for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you collect compensation for your damages. Occasionally, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Lemay, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you the best possible compensation for your injuries.
Below are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Lemay, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is to Blame for My Injuries? | Lemay, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is demonstrably responsible for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other parties who are to blame. Missouri and Illinois both have what we call dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the laws vary between the two states:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical behavior
- Extreme physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content of more than .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to demonstrate fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to show the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurring when they talk
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is irregular in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a vendor to be at fault. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone harmed by a drunk driver to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can demonstrate that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the vendor contributed to the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obliged to set liability caps for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death caused either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Lemay, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you receive will count on the significance of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you great compensation for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time you could not work because of your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries result in a disability that disallows you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, including
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or needed improvements to your home
- Future approximated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical care
- Property damage, such as damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Lemay, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal talent necessary to win you the full financial recovery that you deserve.
Other cases we take in Lemay, MO are:
Call HK Law Today
Lemay, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made a reckless decision, and you do not have to navigate this difficult time alone. The Lemay, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are understanding, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers liable in Lemay, MO for their irresponsible actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Lemay, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.