Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Wentzville, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Wentzville, MO. We all have a obligation to each other to obey the rules of the road and respect each other's safety. When another driver drives drunk, they're making an extremely selfish and reckless decision. If you or a family member was hurt as a consequence that decision, you deserve to pursue justice in the form of a financial recovery. Motor vehicle wrecks and the subsequent injuries are always unexpected, and the financial consequences from medical costs and lost wages are instantaneous and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Wentzville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because someone made the terrible decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Wentzville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving fatalities have declined by almost half since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Wentzville, MO roads who jeopardize others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and hurt you, the Wentzville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to make certain they are held responsible and you collect the maximum compensation you need to heal.
According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving accidents, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people annually. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after having too much to drink in the previous month. The annual cost of drunk driving accidents nationwide amounts to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 car crash injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal crashes in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in Wentzville, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Wentzville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for someone to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of more than .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While impaired by alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ a little in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Although it's a good thing that there are harsh penalties for drunk drivers, it doesn't help you recover compensation for your injuries. Occasionally, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Wentzville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you a complete financial recovery for your injuries.
Below are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Wentzville, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is to Blame for My Injuries? | Wentzville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is undoubtedly at fault for your injuries pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other people who are to blame. Missouri and Illinois both have what we call dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the rules are a bit different in each state:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical behavior
- Extreme physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC above .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally adequate to support fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is irregular in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a restaurant to be responsible. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can demonstrate that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar caused the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability limits for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death caused either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Wentzville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you receive will depend on the gravity of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you complete compensation for:
Economic damages, including:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries cause a disability that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, for example
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or needed improvements to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical treatment
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for instance:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Wentzville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal knowledge necessary to get you the great financial recovery that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Wentzville, MO are:
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Wentzville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made an irresponsible decision, and you do not have to go through this difficult process alone. The Wentzville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers liable in Wentzville, MO for their reckless actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Wentzville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.