Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Sullivan, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Sullivan, MO. We all owe it to other people to follow the rules of the road and respect each other's safety. When another driver gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an extremely self-centered and thoughtless choice. If you or a family member was harmed due to that decision, you are entitled to seek justice through a financial recovery. Motor vehicle wrecks and the injuries that accompany them are always unforeseen, and the financial consequences from medical bills and lost wages are instant and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Sullivan, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their lives to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because another person made the terrible decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Sullivan, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving deaths have decreased by almost half since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Sullivan, MO roads who jeopardize others by drinking and driving. When they do and end up injuring you, the Sullivan, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to make sure they are held accountable and you get the full compensation you need to be made whole again.
According to reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving accidents, which amounts to one fatality every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people annually. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after having too much to drink within the last 30 days. The yearly cost of drunk driving collisions nationwide adds up to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 car collision injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total motor vehicle accident injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt because someone else drove drunk in Sullivan, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Sullivan, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for someone to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of at least .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Although it may be encouraging that there are strict punishments for people who drive drunk, it doesn't help you recover compensation for your injuries. Sometimes, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Sullivan, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you great compensation for your injuries.
The following are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Sullivan, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Sullivan, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is obviously to blame for your damages according to the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other people who are responsible. Missouri and Illinois both have what are called dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the statutes are a little different in each state:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical behavior
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a blood alcohol content of more than .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally adequate to support fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to demonstrate the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be at fault. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits an injured person to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can prove that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant caused the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can show that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obligated to set liability caps for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death caused either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Sullivan, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you receive will depend on the seriousness of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you a full financial recovery for:
Economic damages, including:
- Lost wages for time you could not work owing to your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in an impairment that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, such as
- Emergency room visits
- Follow up doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or required upgrades to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical care
- Property damage, such as damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, for instance:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Sullivan, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal skills necessary to get you the best possible financial recovery that you are owed.
Other personal injury cases we take in Sullivan, MO are:
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
Call HK Law Today
Sullivan, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made a careless decision, and you do not need to navigate this difficult time alone. The Sullivan, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers accountable in Sullivan, MO for their irresponsible behavior. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Sullivan, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.
Attorney at Law
Samantha Orlowski is a practicing attorney Halvorsen Klote.
Samantha joined Halvorsen Klote in 2018 as a law clerk and has since become a practicing attorney. Sam's number one priority is to provide individualized experiences for each client to achieve the best results.