Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Affton, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Affton, MO. We all have a duty to other people to obey the rules of the road and value each other's safety. When someone gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making a ridiculously selfish and reckless decision. If you or a family member was injured as a result of that decision, you have a right to seek justice through financial compensation. Auto accidents and the injuries that come with them are always unexpected, and the financial consequences from medical costs and lost wages are instantaneous and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Affton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their careers to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because somebody made the horrible decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Affton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving deaths have diminished 45 percent since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Affton, MO roads who put others in danger by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and end up injuring you, the Affton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to ensure they are held accountable and you receive the great financial recovery you need to heal.
According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die every day in drunk driving wrecks, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after drinking too much within the previous 30 days. The yearly cost of drunk driving accidents in the United States is over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 car crash injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who died and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt because another person drove drunk in Affton, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Affton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of over .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Though it may be encouraging that there are strict consequences for drunk drivers, it doesn't help you recover compensation for your damages. Occasionally, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Affton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you the best possible financial recovery for your injuries.
The following are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Affton, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Affton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is demonstrably responsible for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other people who are liable. Missouri and Illinois both have what are known as dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the rules vary between the two states:
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," which means they exhibited:
- Significantly uncoordinated physical action
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a blood alcohol content above .08% alone is not prima facie, or legally sufficient to show liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to show the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling down
- Slurring when they talk
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is atypical in that the person who caused you harm did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a bar to be at fault. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits an injured person to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can demonstrate that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar was a factor the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obliged to set liability limits for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each person incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death caused either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Affton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you collect will be based on the significance of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to deliver you maximum compensation for:
Economic damages, such as:
- Lost wages for time you could not work because of your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries cause a disability that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, such as
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or required upgrades to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical appointments
- Property damage, such as damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Affton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, determination, and legal talent required to get you the great financial recovery that you are entitled to.
Other cases we take in Affton, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Affton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made a reckless decision, and you do not need to go through this confusing process alone. The Affton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers responsible in Affton, MO for their reckless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Affton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.