Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Quincy, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Quincy, MO. We all owe it to each other to act in accordance with the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When somebody gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making a ridiculously self-centered and reckless choice. If you or someone you love was injured as a consequence that decision, you are entitled to seek justice through a financial recovery. Auto accidents and the injuries that come with them are always unexpected, and the financial hardships from medical bills and lost wages are instant and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Quincy, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because somebody made the horrible decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Quincy, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving deaths have declined 45 percent since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Quincy, MO roads who jeopardize others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and end up injuring you, the Quincy, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to ensure they are held responsible and you receive the great financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving collisions, which amounts to one fatality every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after drinking too much within the last 30 days. The yearly cost associated with drunk driving wrecks in the United States adds up to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 car wreck injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total motor vehicle accident injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt because another person drove drunk in Quincy, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Quincy, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of at least .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Though it may be encouraging that there are stiff punishments for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you recover compensation for your damages. Sometimes, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Quincy, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you a full financial recovery for your injuries.
The following are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Quincy, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Quincy, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is unmistakably to blame for your damages under the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other people who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the statutes are somewhat different in each state:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they exhibited:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical behavior
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of more than .08% alone is not prima facie, or legally sufficient to prove fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to show the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Substantially impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is atypical in that the person who caused you harm did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a bar to be to blame. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can demonstrate that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar caused the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obliged to set liability limits for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Quincy, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you collect will depend on the severity of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to win you full compensation for:
Economic damages, such as:
- Lost wages for time you could not work owing to your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries result in an impairment that disallows you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, such as
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or required improvements to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical care
- Property damage, for example damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for instance:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Quincy, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, determination, and legal knowledge required to get you the best possible financial recovery that you deserve.
Other personal injury cases we take in Quincy, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Quincy, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another person made a careless decision, and you do not need to navigate this trying time alone. The Quincy, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are understanding, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers liable in Quincy, MO for their careless actions. We keep you informed throughout the whole legal process, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Quincy, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.