Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Bonne Terre, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Bonne Terre, MO. We all owe it to each other to respect the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another person drives drunk, they're making a ridiculously self-centered and irresponsible choice. If you or a loved one was harmed due to that decision, you are entitled to pursue justice through a financial recovery. Car wrecks and the injuries that accompany them are always unforeseen, and the financial effects from medical bills and lost wages are immediate and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Bonne Terre, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because someone made the terrible decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Bonne Terre, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving fatalities have declined by almost half since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Bonne Terre, MO roads who put others at risk by drinking and driving. When they do and end up injuring you, the Bonne Terre, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to make sure they are held accountable and you collect the maximum financial recovery you need to heal.
According to reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving crashes, which adds up to one fatality every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after having too much to drink in the last month. The annual cost of drunk driving wrecks nationwide totals over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 auto collision injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed because another driver drove drunk in Bonne Terre, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Bonne Terre, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of over .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ a little in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
While it may be encouraging that there are harsh penalties for people who drive while intoxicated, criminal penalties don't help you collect compensation for your injuries. Once in a while, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Bonne Terre, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them liable in your civil case and get you complete compensation for your injuries.
Below are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Bonne Terre, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Bonne Terre, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is unmistakably at fault for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other parties who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois each have what are known as dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the statutes are a bit different in each state:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical behavior
- Significant physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of over .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to demonstrate fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to demonstrate the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurring when they talk
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Substantially impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is relatively liberal in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a bar to be at fault. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits an injured person to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can demonstrate that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the vendor was a factor the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller has to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Bonne Terre, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you receive will be based on the seriousness of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you a full financial recovery for:
Economic damages, including:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries lead to a disability that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, for example
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or needed upgrades to your home
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical treatment
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Bonne Terre, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, determination, and legal skills necessary to secure you the great financial recovery that you deserve.
Other cases we take in Bonne Terre, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Bonne Terre, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made a selfish decision, and you do not have to go through this painful process by yourself. The Bonne Terre, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are understanding, skilled, and experienced in holding drunk drivers accountable in Bonne Terre, MO for their reckless actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Bonne Terre, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.