Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Imperial, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Imperial, MO. We all owe it to other people to follow the rules of the road and prioritize each other's safety. When someone gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making a terribly selfish and reckless choice. If you or a family member was hurt as a result of that decision, you deserve to seek justice in the form of a financial recovery. Auto accidents and the injuries that come with them are always unexpected, and the financial reverberations from medical bills and lost wages are immediate and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Imperial, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their careers to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because somebody made the dreadful decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Imperial, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving fatalities have declined by almost half since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Imperial, MO roads who put others at risk by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and hurt you, the Imperial, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to make sure they are held responsible and you get the maximum financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
As stated by data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving wrecks, which amounts to one person every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after having too much to drink within the last month. The yearly cost associated with drunk driving collisions nationwide adds up to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 motor vehicle crash injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured by a drunk driver in Imperial, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Imperial, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of at least .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Although it may be encouraging that there are severe penalties for people who drive drunk, criminal penalties don't help you recover compensation for your injuries. Occasionally, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Imperial, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you a complete financial recovery for your injuries.
Below are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Imperial, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is to Blame for My Injuries? | Imperial, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is clearly at fault for your injuries according to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other parties who are liable. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the statutes are a bit different in each state:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must demonstrate two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they displayed:
- Significantly uncoordinated physical behavior
- Significant physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content above .08% by itself is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to show fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to demonstrate the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling down
- Slurred speech
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Significantly impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is atypical in that the person who caused you injury did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a restaurant to be accountable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits an injured person to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can show that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar was a factor the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can prove that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obligated to set liability maximums for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each person incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death caused either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Imperial, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you collect will be based on the significance of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you a complete financial recovery for:
Economic damages, such as:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries cause a disability that disallows you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, such as
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or necessary improvements to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical care
- Property damage, for example damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Imperial, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal skills necessary to deliver you the full compensation that you are entitled to.
Other personal injury cases we take in Imperial, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Imperial, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made an irresponsible decision, and you do not need to go through this difficult process by yourself. The Imperial, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are compassionate, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers responsible in Imperial, MO for their careless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Imperial, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.