Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Lake St. Louis, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Lake St. Louis, MO. We all owe it to other people to respect the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another driver drives drunk, they're making an incredibly selfish and careless decision. If you or someone you love was harmed as a result of that decision, you are entitled to pursue justice through a financial recovery. Motor vehicle crashes and the injuries that accompany them are always unanticipated, and the financial consequences from medical bills and lost wages are immediate and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Lake St. Louis, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because someone made the dreadful decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Lake St. Louis, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving deaths have diminished by almost half since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Lake St. Louis, MO roads who put others at risk by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and injure you, the Lake St. Louis, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make certain they are held accountable and you receive the great financial recovery you need to heal.
As stated by data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving wrecks, which adds up to one fatality every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people annually. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after having too much to drink within the previous month. The annual cost associated with drunk driving accidents nationwide is more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 motor vehicle crash injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal crashes in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in Lake St. Louis, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Lake St. Louis, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for someone to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of more than .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Though it may be encouraging that there are stiff punishments for people who drive while intoxicated, it doesn't help you get compensation for your injuries. Sometimes, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Lake St. Louis, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you complete compensation for your injuries.
The following are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Lake St. Louis, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Lake St. Louis, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is unmistakably liable for your injuries according to the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other people who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois each have what are known as dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the laws differ between the two states:
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical action
- Significant physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of more than .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to support liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to demonstrate the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling down
- Slurred speech
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Substantially impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is irregular in that the person who caused you harm did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a vendor to be accountable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can prove that the bought alcohol at that specific restaurant.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar caused the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can show that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability limits for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Lake St. Louis, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you collect will be based on the gravity of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you the best possible compensation for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries lead to a disability that prohibits you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, such as
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or needed improvements to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical appointments
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Lake St. Louis, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, determination, and legal knowledge needed to deliver you the maximum financial recovery that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Lake St. Louis, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Lake St. Louis, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made a careless decision, and you do not have to navigate this trying time alone. The Lake St. Louis, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers accountable in Lake St. Louis, MO for their selfish actions. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Lake St. Louis, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.