Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Lebanon, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Lebanon, MO. We all owe it to other people to follow the rules of the road and value each other's safety. When someone gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making a ridiculously selfish and careless choice. If you or someone you love was harmed due to that decision, you have a right to seek justice in the form of financial compensation. Auto wrecks and the subsequent injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial consequences from medical expenses and lost wages are immediate and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Lebanon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because somebody made the selfish decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Lebanon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving fatalities have diminished 45 percent since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Lebanon, MO roads who jeopardize others by drinking and driving. When they do and hurt you, the Lebanon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and ensure they are held accountable and you are awarded the great financial recovery you need to heal.
As stated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving collisions, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people annually. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after drinking too much within the last 30 days. The annual cost associated with drunk driving crashes nationwide is over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 auto wreck injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed because another driver drove drunk in Lebanon, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Lebanon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of at least .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to an extent that renders the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Though it's a good thing that there are severe consequences for people who drive while intoxicated, it doesn't help you recover compensation for your injuries. Occasionally, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Lebanon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you a full financial recovery for your injuries.
The following are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Lebanon, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Lebanon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is demonstrably responsible for your damages pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other parties who are responsible. Missouri and Illinois both have what are referred to dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the laws vary between the two states:
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical action
- Significant physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a BAC of over .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally sufficient to demonstrate liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to show the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is atypical in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a vendor to be responsible. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone hurt by a drunk driver to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can prove that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can show that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant caused the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is required to set liability maximums for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Lebanon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you receive will count on the gravity of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you a great financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time you could not work because of your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries lead to an impairment that disallows you from performing the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, for example
- Emergency room visits
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or required improvements to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical care
- Property damage, such as damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Lebanon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal skills required to deliver you the best possible financial recovery that you are owed.
Other personal injury cases we take in Lebanon, MO are:
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
Call HK Law Today
Lebanon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made an irresponsible decision, and you do not have to go through this confusing process by yourself. The Lebanon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, skilled, and experienced in holding drunk drivers accountable in Lebanon, MO for their selfish actions. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Lebanon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.