Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Clayton, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Clayton, MO. We all have a duty to other people to follow the rules of the road and take into consideration each other's safety. When another driver drives drunk, they're making an extremely self-centered and irresponsible decision. If you or someone you love was hurt as a consequence that decision, you are entitled to seek justice through financial compensation. Motor vehicle wrecks and the injuries that accompany them are always unforeseen, and the financial hardships from medical bills and lost wages are immediate and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Clayton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their careers to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because someone made the dreadful decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Clayton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving deaths have decreased by almost half since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Clayton, MO roads who endanger others by drinking and driving. When they do and end up injuring you, the Clayton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to make certain they are held accountable and you receive the maximum financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
As stated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving wrecks, which adds up to one fatality every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after drinking too much within the previous month. The yearly cost associated with drunk driving crashes in the United States totals over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 car crash injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal crashes in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt by a drunk driver in Clayton, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Clayton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of at least .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
While it's a good thing that there are harsh consequences for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you receive compensation for your injuries. Sometimes, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Clayton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you the best possible financial recovery for your damages.
The following are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Clayton, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Clayton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is clearly at fault for your damages according to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other people who are to blame. Missouri and Illinois each have what are known as dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the statutes differ between the two states:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," which means they exhibited:
- Significantly uncoordinated physical behavior
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content above .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to prove liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to show the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurred speech
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Significantly impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is atypical in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a vendor to be responsible. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits an injured person to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can prove that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can show that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant was a factor the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can prove that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is required to set liability caps for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each person incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Clayton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you receive will count on the significance of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you great compensation for:
Economic damages, including:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries cause a disability that disallows you from performing the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, for instance
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or needed upgrades to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical care
- Property damage, for example damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Clayton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal talent needed to deliver you the maximum financial recovery that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Clayton, MO are:
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Clayton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made a careless decision, and you do not have to navigate this trying time by yourself. The Clayton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are understanding, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers accountable in Clayton, MO for their irresponsible behavior. We keep you informed throughout the whole legal process, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Clayton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.