Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Glen Carbon, IL
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Glen Carbon, IL. We all owe it to other people to respect the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When someone gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making a ridiculously selfish and irresponsible choice. If you or a loved one was hurt because of that decision, you deserve to seek justice in the form of a financial recovery. Motor vehicle accidents and their injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial effects from medical expenses and lost wages are instantaneous and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Glen Carbon, IL drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their careers to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because someone made the awful decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Glen Carbon, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving deaths have declined 45 percent since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Glen Carbon, IL roads who endanger others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and injure you, the Glen Carbon, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to make sure they are held responsible and you receive the best possible financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed each day in drunk driving wrecks, which adds up to one fatality every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after having too much to drink in the previous month. The yearly cost of drunk driving collisions in the United States adds up to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 car collision injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured because someone else drove drunk in Glen Carbon, IL, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Glen Carbon, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of over .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a little in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Although it may be encouraging that there are harsh punishments for people who drive drunk, criminal penalties don't help you collect compensation for your damages. Sometimes, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Glen Carbon, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you the best possible financial recovery for your injuries.
The following are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Glen Carbon, IL:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Glen Carbon, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is demonstrably liable for your injuries pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other parties who are to blame. Missouri and Illinois both have what are called dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the laws are somewhat different in each state:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must demonstrate two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they exhibited:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical behavior
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of over .08% alone is not prima facie, or legally adequate to support fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to demonstrate the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurred speech
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Substantially impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a restaurant to be accountable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can show that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar contributed to the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obligated to set liability caps for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each person incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Glen Carbon, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you collect will count on the severity of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to win you full compensation for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries cause a disability that prohibits you from performing the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, such as
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or necessary upgrades to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical care
- Property damage, for example damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, for instance:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Glen Carbon, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal knowledge necessary to deliver you the full compensation that you deserve.
Other cases we take in Glen Carbon, IL are:
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Call HK Law Today
Glen Carbon, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another person made a reckless decision, and you do not need to go through this confusing process alone. The Glen Carbon, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are understanding, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers liable in Glen Carbon, IL for their irresponsible behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Glen Carbon, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.
Attorney at Law
Samantha Orlowski is a practicing attorney Halvorsen Klote.
Samantha joined Halvorsen Klote in 2018 as a law clerk and has since become a practicing attorney. Sam's number one priority is to provide individualized experiences for each client to achieve the best results.