Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Union, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Union, MO. We all owe it to other people to follow the rules of the road and take into consideration each other's safety. When someone drives drunk, they're making an extremely self-centered and careless decision. If you or a family member was injured as a consequence that decision, you are entitled to seek justice through a financial recovery. Car accidents and the injuries that accompany them are always unanticipated, and the financial consequences from medical bills and lost wages are instantaneous and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Union, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their careers to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because somebody made the terrible decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Union, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving deaths have declined 45 percent since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Union, MO roads who put others at risk by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and harm you, the Union, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to make certain they are held accountable and you are awarded the best possible financial recovery you need to heal.
As stated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving collisions, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after drinking too much in the last 30 days. The yearly cost of drunk driving accidents nationwide is over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 motor vehicle accident injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured by a drunk driver in Union, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Union, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of over .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to an extent that renders the person unable to drive safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
While it's a good thing that there are harsh penalties for people who drive while intoxicated, criminal penalties don't help you get compensation for your injuries. Occasionally, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Union, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you a full financial recovery for your injuries.
Below are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Union, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Union, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is unmistakably responsible for your injuries according to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other parties who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the statutes vary between the two states:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," which means they showed:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical action
- Significant physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC above .08% alone is not prima facie, or legally sufficient to support fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling down
- Slurred speech
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who caused you harm did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a bar to be to blame. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows someone injured by a drunk driver to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can demonstrate that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar caused the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can prove that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obligated to set liability maximums for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death caused either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Union, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you receive will count on the seriousness of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to win you complete compensation for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries result in an impairment that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, such as
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary improvements to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical care
- Property damage, for instance damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Union, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal knowledge necessary to deliver you the great financial recovery that you are entitled to.
Other cases we take in Union, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Union, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made a selfish decision, and you do not have to navigate this trying time by yourself. The Union, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers liable in Union, MO for their careless actions. We keep you informed throughout the whole legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Union, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.