Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Troy, IL
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Troy, IL. We all owe it to each other to obey the rules of the road and respect each other's safety. When somebody gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an incredibly self-centered and careless decision. If you or a loved one was hurt due to that decision, you deserve to pursue justice through a financial recovery. Auto crashes and their injuries are always unexpected, and the financial hardships from medical bills and lost wages are instantaneous and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Troy, IL drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their careers to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because another person made the awful decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Troy, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving deaths have declined 45 percent since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Troy, IL roads who put others at risk by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and harm you, the Troy, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make sure they are held responsible and you receive the maximum compensation you need to heal.
As stated by data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die every day in drunk driving collisions, which amounts to one person every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after having too much to drink in the previous 30 days. The yearly cost associated with drunk driving wrecks in the United States amounts to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 motor vehicle collision injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who died and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt because another person drove drunk in Troy, IL, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Troy, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of more than .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While impaired by alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Even though it may be encouraging that there are stiff penalties for people who drive while intoxicated, it doesn't help you recover compensation for your damages. Sometimes, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Troy, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you maximum compensation for your injuries.
The following are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Troy, IL:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Troy, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is demonstrably to blame for your damages according to the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other parties who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the statutes differ between the two states:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must demonstrate two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they exhibited:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical behavior
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC above .08% by itself is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to demonstrate fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers must show the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is irregular in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a bar to be responsible. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows someone harmed by a drunk driver to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can prove that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can show that the alcohol sold by the vendor contributed to the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each person incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Troy, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you collect will depend on the significance of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you a great financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time you could not work owing to your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries lead to an impairment that prohibits you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, such as
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary improvements to your home
- Future approximated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical treatment
- Property damage, for example damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Troy, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal skills needed to secure you the maximum financial recovery that you deserve.
Other cases we take in Troy, IL are:
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Call HK Law Today
Troy, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another person made an irresponsible decision, and you do not have to go through this difficult process by yourself. The Troy, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers responsible in Troy, IL for their irresponsible actions. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Troy, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.
Attorney at Law
Samantha Orlowski is a practicing attorney Halvorsen Klote.
Samantha joined Halvorsen Klote in 2018 as a law clerk and has since become a practicing attorney. Sam's number one priority is to provide individualized experiences for each client to achieve the best results.