Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Linn, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Linn, MO. We all have a duty to each other to obey the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another driver drives drunk, they're making a ridiculously selfish and thoughtless decision. If you or a loved one was injured as a result of that decision, you have a right to pursue justice in the form of a financial recovery. Auto accidents and the injuries that come with them are always unanticipated, and the financial hardships from medical costs and lost wages are instant and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Linn, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because someone made the dreadful decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Linn, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have decreased by almost half since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Linn, MO roads who jeopardize others by drinking and driving. When they do and harm you, the Linn, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and ensure they are held accountable and you receive the full financial recovery you need to heal.
According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving collisions, which adds up to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after drinking too much within the last month. The yearly cost associated with drunk driving collisions nationwide adds up to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 car crash injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total auto crash injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in Linn, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Linn, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of at least .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Though it's a good thing that there are strict consequences for drunk drivers, it doesn't help you receive compensation for your damages. Occasionally, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Linn, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you full compensation for your injuries.
The following are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Linn, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Linn, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is clearly to blame for your damages pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other people who are liable. Missouri and Illinois each have what are called dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the rules vary between the two states:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they exhibited:
- Significantly uncoordinated physical action
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a BAC above .08% by itself is not prima facie, or lawfully adequate to support fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to show the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is relatively liberal in that the person who caused you injury did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a restaurant to be to blame. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone harmed by a drunk driver to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can prove that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the vendor caused the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is required to set liability maximums for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Linn, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you collect will count on the seriousness of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to deliver you great compensation for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries cause an impairment that prohibits you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, such as
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or needed improvements to your home
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical appointments
- Property damage, for example damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Linn, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, persistence, and legal knowledge needed to win you the maximum compensation that you are entitled to.
Other personal injury cases we take in Linn, MO are:
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Linn, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made a selfish decision, and you do not have to navigate this trying time by yourself. The Linn, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are compassionate, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers liable in Linn, MO for their selfish behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Linn, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.