Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Washington, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Washington, MO. We all owe it to other people to respect the rules of the road and respect each other's safety. When another driver drives drunk, they're making a terribly selfish and thoughtless choice. If you or someone you love was injured because of that decision, you have a right to seek justice in the form of financial compensation. Motor vehicle crashes and their injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial repercussions from medical bills and lost wages are instant and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Washington, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their careers to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because someone made the awful decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Washington, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving fatalities have diminished 45 percent since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Washington, MO roads who endanger others by drinking and driving. When they do and hurt you, the Washington, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make certain they are held accountable and you are awarded the full financial recovery you need to heal.
As stated by data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die every day in drunk driving wrecks, which amounts to one person every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after drinking too much within the previous 30 days. The annual cost associated with drunk driving collisions in the United States amounts to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 motor vehicle wreck injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who died and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in Washington, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Washington, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of at least .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While impaired by alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to an extent that makes the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Even though it may be encouraging that there are severe penalties for people who drive while intoxicated, criminal penalties don't help you recover compensation for your damages. Occasionally, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Washington, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them liable in your civil case and get you the best possible financial recovery for your injuries.
Below are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Washington, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Washington, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is undoubtedly responsible for your damages according to the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other parties who are to blame. Missouri and Illinois both have what are known as dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the statutes are a bit different in each state:
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they displayed:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical action
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content of more than .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally adequate to prove fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to prove the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling down
- Slurring when they talk
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Substantially impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is atypical in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be liable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits an injured person to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can prove that the bought alcohol at that specific restaurant.
- You can show that the alcohol sold by the bar contributed to the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can prove that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Washington, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you receive will count on the seriousness of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to deliver you great compensation for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries cause an impairment that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, for example
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or required improvements to your home
- Future estimated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical care
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Washington, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, determination, and legal knowledge required to get you the best possible financial recovery that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Washington, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Washington, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made a selfish decision, and you do not have to navigate this trying time alone. The Washington, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, skilled, and experienced in holding drunk drivers liable in Washington, MO for their reckless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the whole legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Washington, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.