Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Barnhart, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Barnhart, MO. We all have a obligation to each other to act in accordance with the rules of the road and take into consideration each other's safety. When somebody gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an incredibly self-centered and reckless choice. If you or a family member was hurt as a result of that decision, you are entitled to seek justice through a financial recovery. Car accidents and the subsequent injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial consequences from medical bills and lost wages are sudden and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Barnhart, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because somebody made the dreadful decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Barnhart, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving deaths have declined by almost half since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Barnhart, MO roads who put others in danger by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and end up injuring you, the Barnhart, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to make sure they are held accountable and you are awarded the best possible compensation you need to heal.
As stated by data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed each day in drunk driving accidents, which adds up to one fatality every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after drinking too much within the previous month. The yearly cost associated with drunk driving collisions in the United States is over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 motor vehicle crash injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 drivers who died and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt by a drunk driver in Barnhart, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Barnhart, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of more than .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Though it's a good thing that there are harsh punishments for people who drive drunk, it doesn't help you collect compensation for your injuries. Sometimes, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Barnhart, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them liable in your civil case and get you a full financial recovery for your damages.
Below are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Barnhart, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Barnhart, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is undoubtedly liable for your injuries according to the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other parties who are to blame. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the rules are a bit different in each state:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," which means they exhibited:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical behavior
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a blood alcohol content of over .08% by itself is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to demonstrate liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers must show the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Substantially impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a restaurant to be responsible. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits an injured person to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can demonstrate that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant caused the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller has to set liability limits for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death caused either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Barnhart, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you receive will count on the seriousness of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to deliver you the best possible compensation for:
Economic damages, such as:
- Lost wages for time you could not work because of your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries result in an impairment that prohibits you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, for example
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or needed upgrades to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical care
- Property damage, such as damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, for instance:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Barnhart, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal talent needed to get you the maximum compensation that you are entitled to.
Other personal injury cases we take in Barnhart, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Barnhart, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made a selfish decision, and you do not need to go through this painful process by yourself. The Barnhart, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are compassionate, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers responsible in Barnhart, MO for their selfish actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Barnhart, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.