Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Concord, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Concord, MO. We all have a responsibility to each other to obey the rules of the road and prioritize each other's safety. When someone drives drunk, they're making an extremely selfish and reckless choice. If you or a loved one was hurt as a result of that decision, you are entitled to pursue justice through financial compensation. Car accidents and the injuries that come with them are always unforeseen, and the financial reverberations from medical expenses and lost wages are instantaneous and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Concord, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because someone made the awful decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Concord, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving deaths have diminished by almost half since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Concord, MO roads who put others at risk by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and harm you, the Concord, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make certain they are held accountable and you collect the maximum financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
As stated by data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving collisions, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people annually. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after having too much to drink within the last month. The yearly cost associated with drunk driving accidents nationwide amounts to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 car collision injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total motor vehicle crash injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in Concord, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Concord, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of over .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
While it's a good thing that there are harsh penalties for drunk drivers, it doesn't help you recover compensation for your injuries. Occasionally, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Concord, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you a great financial recovery for your injuries.
The following are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Concord, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Concord, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is obviously at fault for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other people who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois both have what are called dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the laws are somewhat different in each state:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," which means they exhibited:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical behavior
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a blood alcohol content above .08% by itself is not prima facie, or lawfully adequate to show liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to show the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling down
- Slurring when they talk
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Significantly impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is atypical in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a restaurant to be responsible. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can show that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can show that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant caused the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can prove that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obligated to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each person incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death caused either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Concord, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you receive will depend on the seriousness of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you maximum compensation for:
Economic damages, such as:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries result in an impairment that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, for instance
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or necessary improvements to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical appointments
- Property damage, for example damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Concord, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal skills needed to get you the great compensation that you deserve.
Other cases we take in Concord, MO are:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Call HK Law Today
Concord, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made an irresponsible decision, and you do not have to go through this painful process alone. The Concord, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers liable in Concord, MO for their reckless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Concord, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.