Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Wright City, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Wright City, MO. We all have a obligation to other people to observe the rules of the road and prioritize each other's safety. When somebody drives drunk, they're making a ridiculously selfish and careless choice. If you or a loved one was hurt as a consequence that decision, you have a right to seek justice through financial compensation. Auto wrecks and the injuries that accompany them are always unforeseen, and the financial reverberations from medical bills and lost wages are immediate and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Wright City, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because someone made the selfish decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Wright City, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving deaths have diminished 45 percent since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Wright City, MO roads who endanger others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and harm you, the Wright City, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make sure they are held accountable and you receive the full financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
As stated by reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed each day in drunk driving collisions, which adds up to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after having too much to drink in the last 30 days. The annual cost associated with drunk driving accidents in the United States is over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 motor vehicle accident injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total motor vehicle collision injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in Wright City, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Wright City, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of at least .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Though it may be encouraging that there are strict penalties for people who drive drunk, criminal penalties don't help you get compensation for your damages. Occasionally, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Wright City, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you a complete financial recovery for your injuries.
The following are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Wright City, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Wright City, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is decidedly responsible for your injuries pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other people who are liable. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the statutes differ between the two states:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must demonstrate two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they displayed:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical action
- Significant physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of over .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally sufficient to show liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to prove the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling down
- Slurred speech
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Substantially impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is irregular in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a restaurant to be at fault. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can demonstrate that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the vendor caused the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can prove that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability caps for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Wright City, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you receive will depend on the gravity of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to deliver you a great financial recovery for:
Economic damages, including:
- Lost wages for time you could not work due to your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in an impairment that disallows you from performing the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, for example
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or necessary upgrades to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical care
- Property damage, for instance damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for instance:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Wright City, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal talent needed to win you the great financial recovery that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Wright City, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Wright City, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made a reckless decision, and you do not have to go through this confusing process alone. The Wright City, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are compassionate, skilled, and experienced in holding drunk drivers liable in Wright City, MO for their careless actions. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Wright City, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.