Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Eldon, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Eldon, MO. We all have a responsibility to each other to observe the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When somebody drives drunk, they're making an incredibly self-centered and thoughtless choice. If you or someone you love was injured as a result of that decision, you have a right to seek justice in the form of a financial recovery. Motor vehicle crashes and their injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial repercussions from medical bills and lost wages are immediate and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Eldon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because someone made the horrible decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Eldon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have decreased 45 percent since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Eldon, MO roads who put others in danger by drinking and driving. When they do and injure you, the Eldon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to ensure they are held responsible and you are awarded the great financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
According to reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving crashes, which adds up to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people annually. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after having too much to drink within the last month. The annual cost associated with drunk driving collisions in the United States is more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 car collision injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in Eldon, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Eldon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for someone to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of over .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that renders the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the chance of having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
While it's a good thing that there are strict consequences for people who drive while intoxicated, it doesn't help you receive compensation for your damages. Occasionally, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Eldon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them liable in your civil case and get you a complete financial recovery for your damages.
Below are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Eldon, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Eldon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is obviously at fault for your injuries according to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other people who are liable. Missouri and Illinois each have what are known as dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the statutes are somewhat different in each state:
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Significantly uncoordinated physical behavior
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content of over .08% by itself is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to demonstrate liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to show the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurred speech
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a restaurant to be responsible. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can demonstrate that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar was a factor the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can prove that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller has to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Eldon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you collect will count on the gravity of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to win you great compensation for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time you could not work as a result of your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries cause an impairment that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, for example
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or needed improvements to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical treatment
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for instance:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Eldon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, persistence, and legal knowledge necessary to win you the great financial recovery that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Eldon, MO are:
Call HK Law Today
Eldon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another person made an irresponsible decision, and you do not need to navigate this trying time by yourself. The Eldon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers accountable in Eldon, MO for their reckless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Eldon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.