Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Hermann, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Hermann, MO. We all owe it to other people to observe the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another driver drives drunk, they're making a ridiculously self-centered and careless decision. If you or a loved one was injured because of that decision, you deserve to seek justice through a financial recovery. Auto accidents and the injuries that come with them are always unexpected, and the financial hardships from medical bills and lost wages are instant and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Hermann, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their lives to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because somebody made the selfish decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Hermann, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving fatalities have declined by almost half since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Hermann, MO roads who put others at risk by drinking and driving. When they do and hurt you, the Hermann, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to ensure they are held responsible and you receive the full financial recovery you need to heal.
As stated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed each day in drunk driving wrecks, which adds up to one fatality every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people annually. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after drinking too much in the previous 30 days. The annual cost of drunk driving crashes nationwide totals over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 auto crash injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total motor vehicle accident injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal crashes in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt by a drunk driver in Hermann, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Hermann, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of over .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that renders the person unable to drive safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Although it's a good thing that there are stiff penalties for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you recover compensation for your damages. Sometimes, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Hermann, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you a great financial recovery for your damages.
Below are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Hermann, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is to Blame for My Injuries? | Hermann, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is obviously responsible for your injuries pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other people who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the laws differ between the two states:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical behavior
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of over .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally adequate to prove liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to prove the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is relatively liberal in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a restaurant to be responsible. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone injured by a drunk driver to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can prove that the bought alcohol at that specific restaurant.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant caused the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can prove that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obligated to set liability limits for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Hermann, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you receive will be based on the gravity of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you great compensation for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time you could not work because of your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries lead to an impairment that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, such as
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or necessary upgrades to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical care
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Hermann, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, persistence, and legal knowledge needed to deliver you the great compensation that you are entitled to.
Other cases we take in Hermann, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Hermann, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another person made a selfish decision, and you do not have to navigate this difficult time by yourself. The Hermann, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are compassionate, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers accountable in Hermann, MO for their selfish behavior. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Hermann, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.