Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Cottleville, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Cottleville, MO. We all owe it to other people to obey the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another driver drives drunk, they're making a terribly self-centered and irresponsible decision. If you or someone you love was harmed because of that decision, you deserve to seek justice in the form of financial compensation. Motor vehicle accidents and their injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial reverberations from medical bills and lost wages are immediate and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Cottleville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their lives to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because another person made the dreadful decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Cottleville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving deaths have decreased by almost half since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Cottleville, MO roads who endanger others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and harm you, the Cottleville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make certain they are held accountable and you collect the best possible financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
As stated by reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed each day in drunk driving collisions, which amounts to one person every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people annually. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after having too much to drink within the last month. The yearly cost of drunk driving wrecks nationwide totals over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 motor vehicle crash injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured by a drunk driver in Cottleville, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Cottleville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of at least .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to an extent that makes the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Though it may be encouraging that there are strict punishments for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you receive compensation for your injuries. Once in a while, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Cottleville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you a great financial recovery for your damages.
Below are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Cottleville, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Cottleville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is decidedly to blame for your injuries pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other people who are responsible. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the laws are a bit different in each state:
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical action
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a BAC of more than .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally sufficient to demonstrate liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to prove the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who caused you injury did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a restaurant to be responsible. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone injured by a drunk driver to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can prove that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the vendor caused the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obliged to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Cottleville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you receive will depend on the seriousness of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you a great financial recovery for:
Economic damages, including:
- Lost wages for time you could not work as a result of your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries lead to a disability that disallows you from performing the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, such as
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or required improvements to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical treatment
- Property damage, for example damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Cottleville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, persistence, and legal talent needed to deliver you the maximum financial recovery that you are entitled to.
Other cases we take in Cottleville, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Cottleville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made a reckless decision, and you do not need to go through this painful process alone. The Cottleville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers accountable in Cottleville, MO for their careless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Cottleville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.