Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Rolla, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Rolla, MO. We all have a obligation to other people to heed the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When someone gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making a ridiculously selfish and thoughtless choice. If you or a loved one was injured as a consequence that decision, you have a right to pursue justice in the form of financial compensation. Motor vehicle wrecks and the subsequent injuries are always unforeseen, and the financial reverberations from medical costs and lost wages are instant and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Rolla, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because another person made the selfish decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Rolla, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving deaths have diminished 45 percent since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Rolla, MO roads who put others in danger by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and end up injuring you, the Rolla, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make certain they are held accountable and you are awarded the full compensation you need to be made whole again.
As stated by data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die every day in drunk driving wrecks, which adds up to one person every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people annually. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after having too much to drink in the last 30 days. The annual cost of drunk driving collisions in the United States amounts to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 auto crash injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total motor vehicle collision injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal crashes in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in Rolla, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Rolla, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of more than .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
While it's a good thing that there are severe consequences for people who drive while intoxicated, it doesn't help you get compensation for your damages. Sometimes, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Rolla, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you complete compensation for your damages.
The following are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Rolla, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Rolla, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is clearly responsible for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other parties who are liable. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the statutes are a little different in each state:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they exhibited:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical behavior
- Extreme physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content of over .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to prove fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling down
- Slurred speech
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is unusual in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a restaurant to be responsible. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can show that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the vendor was a factor the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can show that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is required to set liability caps for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death caused either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Rolla, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you collect will be based on the significance of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to deliver you a great financial recovery for:
Economic damages, such as:
- Lost wages for time you could not work because of your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries lead to an impairment that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, including
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary improvements to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical care
- Property damage, for example damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Rolla, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, determination, and legal skills needed to win you the maximum compensation that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Rolla, MO are:
Call HK Law Today
Rolla, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made a reckless decision, and you do not need to navigate this difficult time by yourself. The Rolla, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are compassionate, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers liable in Rolla, MO for their irresponsible actions. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Rolla, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.