Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Des Peres, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Des Peres, MO. We all have a duty to other people to act in accordance with the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another driver drives drunk, they're making a ridiculously self-centered and reckless choice. If you or a loved one was injured as a consequence that decision, you deserve to pursue justice in the form of financial compensation. Motor vehicle crashes and the subsequent injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial effects from medical costs and lost wages are immediate and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Des Peres, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their lives to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because somebody made the dreadful decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Des Peres, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving fatalities have decreased by almost half since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Des Peres, MO roads who endanger others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and harm you, the Des Peres, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make sure they are held responsible and you collect the great compensation you need to heal.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving accidents, which amounts to one person every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people annually. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after drinking too much within the last month. The annual cost of drunk driving accidents nationwide amounts to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 auto collision injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total motor vehicle wreck injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who died and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in Des Peres, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Des Peres, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of at least .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to an extent that renders the person unable to drive safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Even though it's a good thing that there are harsh penalties for people who drive drunk, criminal penalties don't help you recover compensation for your injuries. Once in a while, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Des Peres, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you a great financial recovery for your injuries.
Below are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Des Peres, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Des Peres, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is obviously liable for your damages under the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other people who are to blame. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the laws differ between the two states:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must demonstrate two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they exhibited:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical action
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a blood alcohol content above .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully adequate to show fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to demonstrate the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling down
- Slurring when they talk
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Substantially impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is unusual in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be accountable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits an injured person to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can prove that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant caused the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can show that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller has to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Des Peres, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you collect will count on the seriousness of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to win you a great financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries lead to a disability that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, for instance
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors appointments
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or needed improvements to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical treatment
- Property damage, for instance damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Des Peres, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal knowledge needed to secure you the maximum compensation that you are entitled to.
Other personal injury cases we take in Des Peres, MO are:
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Des Peres, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another person made a careless decision, and you do not have to go through this difficult process alone. The Des Peres, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are compassionate, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers liable in Des Peres, MO for their irresponsible actions. We keep you informed throughout the whole legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Des Peres, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.