Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Republic, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Republic, MO. We all have a responsibility to each other to act in accordance with the rules of the road and take into consideration each other's safety. When another driver drives drunk, they're making a terribly selfish and irresponsible decision. If you or a family member was injured as a consequence that decision, you have a right to pursue justice through a financial recovery. Car wrecks and their injuries are always unexpected, and the financial effects from medical expenses and lost wages are instant and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Republic, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because another person made the dreadful decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Republic, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have decreased by almost half since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Republic, MO roads who put others in danger by drinking and driving. When they do and end up injuring you, the Republic, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to make sure they are held accountable and you get the best possible compensation you need to heal.
As stated by reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving wrecks, which amounts to one fatality every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after drinking too much within the previous 30 days. The annual cost associated with drunk driving accidents nationwide amounts to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 motor vehicle crash injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed because somebody else drove drunk in Republic, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Republic, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for someone to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of over .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to an extent that makes the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
While it's a good thing that there are harsh consequences for drunk drivers, it doesn't help you recover compensation for your damages. Sometimes, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Republic, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you the best possible financial recovery for your damages.
The following are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Republic, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Republic, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is undoubtedly at fault for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other people who are to blame. Missouri and Illinois both have what we call dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the rules vary between the two states:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," which means they exhibited:
- Significantly uncoordinated physical action
- Extreme physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of more than .08% alone is not prima facie, or legally sufficient to demonstrate liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to prove the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurring when they talk
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is irregular in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a vendor to be to blame. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can demonstrate that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar caused the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can prove that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obligated to set liability maximums for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each person incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Republic, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you collect will be based on the seriousness of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to win you the best possible compensation for:
Economic damages, including:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries cause an impairment that disallows you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, for example
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary improvements to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical care
- Property damage, for example damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Republic, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal talent required to deliver you the maximum financial recovery that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Republic, MO are:
Call HK Law Today
Republic, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made a selfish decision, and you do not need to navigate this trying time alone. The Republic, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, skilled, and experienced in holding drunk drivers responsible in Republic, MO for their reckless actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Republic, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.