Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Dardenne Prairie, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Dardenne Prairie, MO. We all owe it to other people to heed the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another driver drives drunk, they're making a ridiculously self-centered and thoughtless choice. If you or a family member was hurt as a result of that decision, you deserve to seek justice through a financial recovery. Motor vehicle wrecks and the injuries that accompany them are always unanticipated, and the financial effects from medical costs and lost wages are instant and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Dardenne Prairie, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because another person made the selfish decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Dardenne Prairie, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving fatalities have declined by almost half since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Dardenne Prairie, MO roads who endanger others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and end up injuring you, the Dardenne Prairie, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and ensure they are held responsible and you collect the best possible compensation you need to be made whole again.
According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving accidents, which adds up to one fatality every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people annually. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after drinking too much in the last 30 days. The yearly cost of drunk driving collisions in the United States is over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 auto crash injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total auto crash injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal crashes in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in Dardenne Prairie, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Dardenne Prairie, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for someone to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of over .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a little in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Even though it's a good thing that there are strict consequences for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you recover compensation for your injuries. Once in a while, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Dardenne Prairie, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you great compensation for your injuries.
The following are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Dardenne Prairie, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Dardenne Prairie, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is obviously at fault for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other people who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois both have what are known as dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the statutes differ between the two states:
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they exhibited:
- Significantly uncoordinated physical action
- Extreme physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC above .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to prove fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to demonstrate the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Substantially impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be liable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits an injured person to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can prove that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can show that the alcohol sold by the bar contributed to the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller has to set liability maximums for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Dardenne Prairie, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you receive will be based on the seriousness of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you maximum compensation for:
Economic damages, such as:
- Lost wages for time you could not work because of your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in an impairment that prohibits you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, including
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or required upgrades to your home
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical care
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Dardenne Prairie, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, determination, and legal talent necessary to get you the full compensation that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Dardenne Prairie, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Dardenne Prairie, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made a careless decision, and you do not need to navigate this trying time by yourself. The Dardenne Prairie, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are understanding, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers liable in Dardenne Prairie, MO for their reckless actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Dardenne Prairie, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.